An Overall Guide to Study in Canada

Posted on

How to Study in Canada

If you have ever been interested to study in Vancouver, BC, there are now more opportunities than ever. The Canadian government recently announced that they intend to increase the number of study permits available for foreign students to learn in Vancouver, BC.

Studying in Canada can also be a path to immigrate to Vancouver and live permanently in Canada.

Studying college students

How to choose a school

  • Primary and secondary schools – these are schools for children of 6 – 18 years of age. Each of the provinces in Canada regulate these schools. To find out more about primary and secondary schools visit: Ministry of Education
  • Post-secondary institutions (universities, technical schools and colleges) – Each Post secondary school is different and has its own application process. For more information about the programs available and applications please review the school’s website. For details on the post secondary schools visit:                        Association of Universities and Colleges of CanadaAssociation of Canadian Community CollegesCanadian Information Centre for International CredentialsYou can also visit Education In Canada to get more information about requirements, application and admission information for programs of study.
  • Language schools – You can learn English or French at a language school in Vancouver, BC. There are several  schools in Canada that teach English or French as a second language.Provincial governments regulate language programs at public institutions but not necessarily the language programs at private schools, so it is important to speak with a qualified immigration consultant in Vancouver. Bell Alliance will be pleased to assist you with this. For more information about private language programs visit:Languages Canada

How to apply to a school

After you have looked at the schools that you are interested in, you will need to apply to the school. Each school will have different requirements. Apply early and allow at least one year for your application to be reviewed by the school. If the school approves your application, you will receive a letter of acceptance. You need the letter of acceptance to be able to apply for a Study Permit and a study permit is required if you plan to study longer than 6 months.

What you need to apply

It will depend on the school that you apply to but generally schools will want to see the following information as part of your application to the school:


Original or certified copies of your high school diploma and other post-secondary education documentation, this should include courses you have taken and your grades.

Proof of language skills

Standard test results from a certified language test that evaluates your skills in reading, writing, understanding and speaking either English or French. Accepted tests include:

  • The Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Proof of good health

Depending on your home country, you might be required to pass a medical exam.  The exam will need to be done by an authorized doctor.

You can contact the school directly to get the application form and information you will need to apply to the school. The school can also provide you with information about:

  • the cost of applying
  • tuition fees
  • health insurance
  • rent and how much it will cost to live in Canada
  • language tests

Health insurance

If you are an international student the Canadian government does not provide medical coverage. Each province in Canada will have their own health coverage. It is a good idea to speak with the school you will be attending about applying for medical coverage.

Work while in school

Depending on the type of job you have while in school, you may be able to work while completing your studies.

Work on campus

You can work while in school on your school’s campus without a work permit if:

  • you are a full-time student, at a public college or university or private university
  • have a valid study permit

Work off campus

If you want to work off campus you will need to obtain a work permit. To be eligible for a work permit, you will have to be a full-time student at a college or university.

After studying in Vancouver, BC you may be eligible immigrate to Vancouver.

To learn more about schools and the possibilities to study in Vancouver, BC speak with a qualified immigration consultant at Bell Alliance Immigration

Share Button

Increased Number of International Students Canada

Posted on

StudentsCanada’s government plans to increase the number of international students by twice the amount in the near future. The government aims to focus on students from China and other countries which are currently experiencing growth. This increases the number of spots available to study in Canada and also could mean new opportunities for immigration to Vancouver, BC.

Vancouver is located in British Columbia and is the heart of international education in Western Canada.

As a result of the Canadian government increasing the number of study visas available for foreign students, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will also be increasing the number of diplomatic, visa-processing and marketing resources in China, Vietnam, India, Brazil, Mexico and the Middle East/North Africa region (including Turkey), so Canada can attract and process more students wanting to study in Canada.

The costs to study in Canada may be something to consider. For Canadian full-time undergraduate students the average annual tuition is $5,772, while at the same time an International student would pay more than triple. The average foreign student tuition for one year is $19,514.

Increased Number of International Students in Vancouver, Canada

While studying in Vancouver, BC is attractive to students. There are also other countries around the world competing for the attention of foreign students. Australia, New Zealand, the US and the UK are actively seeking students from around the globe to sit in their classrooms.

Asian students

Many of Vancouver’s universities and colleges – including Langara, Kwantlen Polytechnic University and Simon Fraser University – bring most of their international students from Asia, frequently China, and other areas like Korea, Japan and Hong Kong.

University of British Columbia has 9,000 international students in Vancouver and is active in approximately 60 countries, including Saudi Arabia, Brazil and the United Arab Emirates.

ESL student pathways to university in Vancouver, are a great opportunity. People studying English as a Second Language in Vancouver, can eventually make their way to studying at a university and then working in Canada.

After completing their studies, the Canadian government is hoping in the future that international students will fill 86,500 jobs. This number is twice the number of jobs currently filled by foreign students. Currently, Canada is experiencing a gap in the labour market and the government is hoping that international students can be one solution to add much needed workers to the job market.

Asian Business workers

Another reason that Canada is welcoming international students to the second biggest country in the world, is to boost Canada’s economy. Foreign students spend their finances on tuition, accommodation, entertainment and other expenses. This all adds up to a big economic gain for local communities.

The B.C. Council for International Education  has stated that there were more than 100,000 international students in B.C. in 2011-12. The Canadian government is aiming to increase these numbers over the next few years. Studying in Canada is a unique opportunity to expand a person’s education, be on the path to employment, one day possibly immigrate to Vancouver and live in Canada permanently.

If you would like to study in Vancouver, BC and speak with a qualified immigration consultant please contact us


Written by Sacha DeVoretz, blog contributor to Bell Alliance Global Immigration Services Inc.

Share Button

Top Tips for Parents and Grandparents Immigrating to Canada

Posted on

Happy Senior Couple

Parents and Grandparents Immigrating to Canada

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has re-opened Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program as of January 2nd 2014. The re-opening has been much anticipated by families wanting to bring their parents and grandparents to Canada. Immigrating to Canada or any new country can be a challenge, but for the older generation it can be even more difficult.

With a new language, culture, customs and a lack of social support, it can be tricky for parents and grandparents to immigrate and get settled in their new home country. A senior’s life can easily become isolated. Their families are busy with work or school and they can get lonely being at home by themselves.

Suddhodan Raj Baidya shares his personal experience of his mother in law who refused to join him in Canada because she felt there were too many challenges for her to settle in Vancouver.

“My mother in law refused to come to Canada to live as she felt the places were very far apart and she cannot speak English well and she cannot drive and therefore afraid to take public transport” Suddhodan continues, “She gets quite bored easily compared to her life in China where everything is in walking distance or public transports are much more affordable for her and there are much more to do.”

Here are tips which can help senior immigrants make the transition to Canada that much easier:

  • There are many free newspapers in different languages as well as settlement services across metro Vancouver where seniors can get more information about their new community.
  • There are local ethnic community and religious organizations which can help senior immigrants and provide much needed support. This can help prevent seniors from feeling lonely or isolated.
  • Weather can be different in Canada than what the elder is used to in their home country. Provide them with access to appropriate clothing and transportation can help prevent your parent or grandparent from staying indoors and potentially becoming cut off from the community.
  • To help with medical issues check to see if there is an interpreter available so your parent or grandparent can freely share her medical concerns with their doctor. Some hospitals have interpreters available for their patients.
  • Language training will help your parent or grandparent settle into daily life much easier. At local immigrant service organizations they provide free language training which can make daily life much easier for your parents or grandparents.
  • To make getting around easier, look into senior discounts on public transportation.  In Vancouver, there are discounts available for seniors for monthly bus passes:
  • If your parent or grandparent either has a challenge physically or mentally they may be eligible for the HandyDART service. This is a transportation service which will pick up your parent or grandparent from their home.
  • Look for a local library. Libraries can provide hours of enjoyment for seniors. There are books available in different languages and assistance for them to find something interesting to read. The local library can also host events and gatherings which may interest your parent or grandparent.

Keep active. Local community centres can provide gentle exercise for the elderly which can help them stay healthy and they can also make new friends.

The good news is there are several services available to help the older generation with their integration to a new life in Canada.  The Province of British Columbia provides immigrant settlement services which are available free to older newcomers. Their services include language training, basic settlement assistance with learning how to use banking, local transportation, peer support and much more.

To find out more about settlement services available for seniors visit:


Written by Sacha DeVoretz, blog contributor to Bell Alliance Global Immigration Services Inc.
Share Button

Federal Skilled Worker Cap 2013 – Occupations Still Available

Posted on

Federal Skilled Worker Program – Eligible Occupation Stream

Federal Skilled Worker  Cap 2013 ,  updated March 17, 2014. 

If you would like to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, your occupation may still available to apply without an arranged Canadian Job Offer !! Check out the newest update from CIC about the Applications Cap

Eligible occupation(by National Occupational Classification [NOC] code)Number of complete applications counted towards the 300 sub-cap
0211   Engineering managers300 (Cap reached)
1112   Financial and investment analysts

300 (Cap reached)

2113   Geoscientists and oceanographers93
2131   Civil engineers300 (Cap reached)
2132   Mechanical engineers300 (Cap reached)
2134   Chemical engineers300 (Cap reached)
2143   Mining engineers13
2145   Petroleum engineers139
2144   Geological engineers13
2146   Aerospace engineers64
2147   Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)300 (Cap reached)
2154   Land surveyors45
2174   Computer programmers and interactive media developers

300 (Cap reached)

2243   Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics171
2263   Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety300 (Cap reached)
3141   Audiologists and speech-language pathologists27
3142   Physiotherapists300 (Cap reached)
3143   Occupational Therapists70
3211   Medical laboratory technologists300 (Cap reached)
3212   Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants187
3214   Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists30
3215   Medical Radiation Technologists82
3216   Medical Sonographers50
3217   Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists47

*All information above is from CIC Website.

If your occupation already reach the application cap, you can stat preparing your application for the next year. There are several requirements and documents that may take quite a long time to obtain. You can click here to view the requirements for Federal Skilled Worker Program.

More options for Skilled Worker: Click Here

1 The number of complete federal skilled worker applications received as of May 4, 2013 is an estimate.
2 The Occupation Cap in this blog post is updated on March 17, 2014, contact us to see the most recent update of your occupation caps.
3 The cap year for eligible occupation stream began on May 4, 2013, and will end on April 30, 2014, unless otherwise stated by the Minister.
Share Button