What you can bring with you to Canada

Posted on

What you can bring with you to Canada?

Whether you are a Visitor, Temporary Resident (student/worker) or a new Permanent Resident, the Government of Canada has certain regulations on what you can and cannot bring (import) into the country.

These restrictions are based on Canada’s laws and are in place to protect the best interests of Canadians.


As a visitor, you can transport specific goods into Canada for your own individual use as “personal baggage”. Personal baggage includes cameras and personal computers, clothing, camping and sports equipment. This category also includes aircraft, vehicles and private boats.

When you arrive at a port of border entry, you must declare all goods you have with you. Border services officers do perform inspections of goods being imported and will want to confirm declarations. If you declare goods when you arrive to Canada and take them back with you when you leave the country, you will not have to pay any duty or taxes.

When you bring in your personal baggage, these goods cannot be:

  • disposed of or left in Canada;
  • used on behalf of a business based in Canada;
  • used by a resident of Canada;
  • be given as a gift to a Canadian resident.

A border services officer may request that you leave a security deposit for your goods. This deposit will be refunded to you when you export (or bring the items with you when you leave the country) the goods from Canada.

If you are asked to leave a security deposit, the border officer will issue a Form E29B, Temporary Admission Permit. They will keep a copy of the form and give you a copy of the form for your records. When you leave Canada, you will present your goods and your copy of Form E29B to the border officer who will give you a receipt copy of the form and your security deposit will be refunded by post.


If you would like to bring a gift for a friend in Canada you can. The gift can be Canada duty- and tax-free as long as the gift is worth CAN$60 or less. If the gift’s value is more than CAN$60, you will have to pay duty and taxes on the extra amount. You cannot declare alcoholic beverages, tobacco products or business-related items as presents.

Work or Study in Canada

If you are entering Canada to study or work for less than 36 months, you may be able to temporarily import (or bring with you) personal and household goods (such as appliances, tableware, furniture, silverware and motor vehicles) duty-and tax-free. You can bring these items into Canada as long as the following conditions are met:

  • The goods cannot be used by a resident of Canada
  • You must take all non-consumable items with you when you leave the country at the end of your stay
  • You are not allowed to sell or otherwise leave the goods in Canada.

Temporary Residents Preparing to enter Canada

Prior to your arrival to Canada, you should bring two copies of a list (if possible typewritten) of all items brought into Canada. On your list you should note (if possible) the estimated value, make, model and serial number of each item.

If you are bringing jewelry into the country, it can be a challenge to describe the item accurately. If possible, have your jewelry appraised before you leave your country and bring the document with you to show the border service officer.

New Permanent Residents entering Canada

For information on what you can bring as a new permanent resident, or if you are returning to Canada see the Canadian Border Service Agency’s guide here. If you are entering Canada as a new Permanent Resident the same general restrictions will apply for your entry to the country.

Alcoholic beverages

You must be the minimum age to bring alcoholic beverages into Canada. The age is regulated by each of the provincial or territorial authorities. You must be18 years for Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec; and 19 years for the other provinces and territories in Canada.

You can bring with you only one of the following quantity of alcoholic beverages free of duty and taxes:

  • Up to 8.5 litres of beer or ale
  • 1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine

A total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of alcoholic beverages

Tobacco products

You are permitted to bring with you all of the quantities of tobacco into Canada free of duty and taxes:

  • 200 cigarettes
  • 200 tobacco sticks
  • 200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco
  • 50 cigars

Monetary instruments and Cash

If you are bringing into Canada or leaving Canada with currency equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 (or the equivalent in a foreign currency), you have to report the amount to a border officer when you either arrive or prior to leaving Canada. This policy applies to either cash or other monetary instruments.


They are certain goods which are restricted to bring into Canada. You will have to declare these items when you bring them into Canada and may be required to bring additional documentation with you.

Restricted items in Canada include (but not limited to):

  • Firearms and weapons
  • Explosives, fireworks and ammunition
  • Radio transmitting equipment
  • Items imported for commercial use
  • Goods subject to import controls
  • Prohibited consumer products

Food products, plants, animals and related products

Prohibited Goods

They are certain items which you cannot bring into Canada with you. These items include; obscene material, hate propaganda and child pornography.

Other items which you cannot bring into the country with you:

  • Used or second-hand mattresses
  • Health products (prescription drugs) – In Canada, health products may be regulated differently than they are in other countries. Make sure to check if you are allowed to bring your health products or prescription into the country.
  • Cultural property – Some cultural objects or antiquities which are considered to have historical significance to their country of origin, cannot be imported into Canada without the proper export permits.

For more information on what you can bring with you to Canada during your stay please visit: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pdt-pdt-eng.html#_s3


Share Button


Posted on




  • 留学生需要在加拿大指定教育机构入学并持续完成学业,持有学生签证而未能在加拿大继续学业的留学生将被要求离境。



  • 留学生需要在加拿大政府指定的允许招收国际留学生的教育机构学习方有资格获得学习证。



  • 持有效学生签证的全职留学生,在就读了6个月的学位(degree)、文凭(diploma)、证书(certificate)课程,或职业性、专业性培训(vocational or professional training)之后,将自动获得在校外兼职工作(每周不得超过20小时)的权利,而无需另行申请工作签证。



  • 只有在本地高中,或加拿大政府指定的教育机构就读的留学生,在就读含有实习项目的课程时,才有资格申请该项目的实习工签(Co-Op Work Permit)



  • 在加拿大政府认可的教育机构(含中、小学)就读的交换生、访问生,或者已满足了政府指定教育机构录取条件的访问签证(Temporary Resident Visa)持有人,可以直接加拿大境内申请学生签证。



  • 留学生毕业90天后,学生签证自动失效(学生签证上的失效日期将不作为参考),此时留学生若在加拿大没有有效的工作签证或其他获准逗留的文件,将被要求离境。



  • 拥有外籍身份的原住民(Registered Indians)将无需学生签证而有权利在加拿大合法学习



  • 在加拿大成功毕业,并有资格获得毕业生工作签证的国际留学生,将在递交工签申请后即可合法全职工作,而无需等待工签获批。



新政策将于2014年六月一日起正式实施。对于目前持有效学习签证,而正在非政府认可的教育机构读书的留学生,在新规定生效后将有3年时间完成学业;这些留学生如已申请了校外工作签证(Off-Campus Work Permit)或实习工作签证(Co-Op Work Permit),也可以继续使用和更新,但最长时效也是新规定生效后3年。

Share Button


Posted on

2014年3月6日,加拿大新斯科舍省提名办公室对新斯科舍省提名移民项目作出一系列改变,原有的社区选择项目替换为全新的本地紧缺行业移民项目(Regional Labour Market Demand)。有意愿在新斯科舍省定居的指定行业内的技术工作人员,将有机会通过这一项目来到加拿大新斯科舍省,并取得永久居民权。


  • Managers in Health Care
  • Retail and wholesale trade managers
  • Restaurant and Food Service Managers
  • Financial Auditors and Accountants
  • Other Financial Officers
  • A Civil Engineers
  • Mechanical Engineers
  • Electrical and Electronics Engineers
  • Computer Engineers (Except Software Engineers and Designers)
  • Information Systems Analysts and Consultants
  • Database Analysts and Data Administrators
  • Software Engineers and Designers
  • Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers
  • Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians
  • Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians
  • Information systems testing technicians
  • Specialist Physicians
  • General Practitioners and Family Physicians
  • Dentists
  • Pharmacists
  • Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses
  • Medical Laboratory Technologists
  • Respiratory Therapists, Clinical Perfusionists and Cardiopulmonary Technologists
  • Medical Radiation Technologists
  • Medical Sonographers
  • Licensed Practical Nurses
  • Other technical occupations in therapy and assessment includes massage therapists
  • Psychologists
  • Early Childhood Educators and Assistants
  • Retail Trade Supervisors
  • Chefs
  • Cooks
  • Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupations
  • Machinists and Machining and Tooling Inspectors
  • Industrial Electricians
  • Welders and related machine operators
  • Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
  • Automotive service technicians, truck and bus mechanics and mechanical repairers
  • Crane Operators
  • Supervisors, Other Mechanical and Metal Products Manufacturing




Share Button

Canada’s Shift to Multiple-Entry Visas

Posted on

Visitors to Canada will be Automatically Considered for Multiple-Entry Visas

Visitors to Canada now will be automatically considered for a multiple-entry visa. Citizenship and Immigration Canada announced this change on February 6, 2014. Canada’s shift to multiple-entry visas allows qualified applicant to visit and stay in Canada for maximum six months each time, in an up to 10 years period  without having to reapply each time.

Processing fee for the a Multiple-Entry Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) will be dropped from $150 to $100. Besides the fee change to TRV, a number of other Government processing fees for Temporary Residency are increased in order to be competitive with peer countries. Below is a charting showing the fee changes to Canada and a Comparison with several peer countries:

ApplicationIncreased amountAmended Processing Fees
Study Permit$25$150
Work Permit$5$155
Extensions to remain in Canada as a Visitor$25$100
Maximum fee for a Family to apply for TRVSIncreased by $100 to $500
Maximum Work Permit fee for a group of performing artist and their staffsIncreased by $15 to $465

For more information about Temporary Residency in Canada, please contact us.

Find out if you qualify

Share Button