Elimination of the Recruitment and Advertisement Exemption for Hiring International Students

Posted on

On June 5, 2014, the Employment and Social Development Canada announced a new change regarding hiring international students.

The Recruitment and Advertisement Exemption for employers hiring international students graduating from recognized Canadian post-secondary institutions is now eliminated. From now on, employers wishing to hire international students who have graduated from recognized Canadian post-secondary institutions and whose Post-Graduate Worker Permit (PGWP) is expireing, will need to submit a Labour Market Impact Assessment to ESDC, and ensure that the individuals transitioning from the PGWP meet all of the requirements for the applicable stream under the Temporary Foreign Workers Program.

For more information, please contact us.

Share Button

Canadian Government is taking action to facilitate trade and travel with Mexico

Posted on

Yesterday, the Minister of Immigration and Citizenship Canada announced a new program to facilitate trade and travel with Mexico.

Between January and April 2014, visitor visas, study and work permits issued to Mexican visitors, students and workers, are reaching a 20 percent increase from the same period last year. the Canadian Government is taking real action to make Canada’s close tourism ties with Mexico even closer.

CAN+ Program

Mexican nationals who have traveled to Canada or the United States within the last 10 years will be eligible for expedited visa processing named “Can+Program”. The Can+program will be a new option to make it easier for Mexican travelers to visit Canada.

A six-month pilot of the CAN+ program delivered real results: the CAN+ will reduce the Visa processing times for Mexican Travelers to 10 days or less.

The programme is trying to be made easier by introducing the online visa or e-visa, which has already been in motion in countries like New Zealand. The online New Zealand ETA allows people to easily apply for a visa online without having the problem of visiting the embassy, which could delay work at times due to the paperwork.

Express Programs to Mexican Nationals

Citizenship and Immigration Canada also offers three “Express” programs that help Mexican business people, tourist groups and students come to Canada faster:

Business Express

This program allows business traveler from Mexico to apply for visas that will be issued within days with a near-perfect approval rate for applicants who registered in the program.

Travel Express 

This program offers a fast, simplified visa application process for tourists who use travel agencies registered with the Canadian Embassy.

Mexican Student Pilot

This pilot program designed for Mexican students, which fast-tracks the processing of study permits with a near-perfect approval rate for students who study at participating Canadian educational institutions.


“Our government is opening the door to economic growth while protecting the integrity of Canada’s immigration system. By making the CAN+ program permanent, our government is making it easier and faster for Mexican travellers to come to Canada to do business, visit family or friends, or bolster Canada’s tourism industry. This will further strengthen relations with our valued NAFTA partner and will help foster economic growth in both our countries.” Said Minister Alexander, Immigration and Citizenship Canada.

Original Announcement from CIC: http://goo.gl/GpGU7Y

Share Button

New regulations for international students will take effect on June 1

Posted on

New regulations for international students

Citizenship and Immigration Canada Announced the new rules for international students that designed to intensify Canada’s reputation as a choice of high-quality education destination for prospective international students. These changes will take force on June 1, 2014. The new regulations will improve services to genuine students that willing to study in Canada,  and reduce the potential for fraud and misuse of the programs. Here is a summarized chart for the New Regulations: International Student Chart




















The finalized announcement also pointed that the designated educational institutions will be determined by provincial and territorial governments in coming months. Once the new regulations come into force, current international students who are studying at a non-designated institution with a valid study permit, will be permitted to complete their study for up to 3 years after the regulations take effect; Students in the same situation, holding an Off-Campus Work Permit or a Co-op Work Permit, will be permitted to continue to use or renew if necessary, their work permit until they complete their program, for up to 3 years after the new rules take effect. Additional operational regulations will be announced closer to June 1, 2014, when the new rules come into force. Source: cic.gc.ca   Contact us for more information.

Share Button

An Overall Guide to Study in Canada

Posted on

How to Study in Canada

If you have ever been interested to study in Vancouver, BC, there are now more opportunities than ever. The Canadian government recently announced that they intend to increase the number of study permits available for foreign students to learn in Vancouver, BC.

Studying in Canada can also be a path to immigrate to Vancouver and live permanently in Canada.

Studying college students

How to choose a school

  • Primary and secondary schools – these are schools for children of 6 – 18 years of age. Each of the provinces in Canada regulate these schools. To find out more about primary and secondary schools visit: Ministry of Education
  • Post-secondary institutions (universities, technical schools and colleges) – Each Post secondary school is different and has its own application process. For more information about the programs available and applications please review the school’s website. For details on the post secondary schools visit:                        Association of Universities and Colleges of CanadaAssociation of Canadian Community CollegesCanadian Information Centre for International CredentialsYou can also visit Education In Canada to get more information about requirements, application and admission information for programs of study.
  • Language schools – You can learn English or French at a language school in Vancouver, BC. There are several  schools in Canada that teach English or French as a second language.Provincial governments regulate language programs at public institutions but not necessarily the language programs at private schools, so it is important to speak with a qualified immigration consultant in Vancouver. Bell Alliance will be pleased to assist you with this. For more information about private language programs visit:Languages Canada

How to apply to a school

After you have looked at the schools that you are interested in, you will need to apply to the school. Each school will have different requirements. Apply early and allow at least one year for your application to be reviewed by the school. If the school approves your application, you will receive a letter of acceptance. You need the letter of acceptance to be able to apply for a Study Permit and a study permit is required if you plan to study longer than 6 months.

What you need to apply

It will depend on the school that you apply to but generally schools will want to see the following information as part of your application to the school:


Original or certified copies of your high school diploma and other post-secondary education documentation, this should include courses you have taken and your grades.

Proof of language skills

Standard test results from a certified language test that evaluates your skills in reading, writing, understanding and speaking either English or French. Accepted tests include:

  • The Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Proof of good health

Depending on your home country, you might be required to pass a medical exam.  The exam will need to be done by an authorized doctor.

You can contact the school directly to get the application form and information you will need to apply to the school. The school can also provide you with information about:

  • the cost of applying
  • tuition fees
  • health insurance
  • rent and how much it will cost to live in Canada
  • language tests

Health insurance

If you are an international student the Canadian government does not provide medical coverage. Each province in Canada will have their own health coverage. It is a good idea to speak with the school you will be attending about applying for medical coverage.

Work while in school

Depending on the type of job you have while in school, you may be able to work while completing your studies.

Work on campus

You can work while in school on your school’s campus without a work permit if:

  • you are a full-time student, at a public college or university or private university
  • have a valid study permit

Work off campus

If you want to work off campus you will need to obtain a work permit. To be eligible for a work permit, you will have to be a full-time student at a college or university.

After studying in Vancouver, BC you may be eligible immigrate to Vancouver.

To learn more about schools and the possibilities to study in Vancouver, BC speak with a qualified immigration consultant at Bell Alliance Immigration

Share Button

Increased Number of International Students Canada

Posted on

StudentsCanada’s government plans to increase the number of international students by twice the amount in the near future. The government aims to focus on students from China and other countries which are currently experiencing growth. This increases the number of spots available to study in Canada and also could mean new opportunities for immigration to Vancouver, BC.

Vancouver is located in British Columbia and is the heart of international education in Western Canada.

As a result of the Canadian government increasing the number of study visas available for foreign students, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will also be increasing the number of diplomatic, visa-processing and marketing resources in China, Vietnam, India, Brazil, Mexico and the Middle East/North Africa region (including Turkey), so Canada can attract and process more students wanting to study in Canada.

The costs to study in Canada may be something to consider. For Canadian full-time undergraduate students the average annual tuition is $5,772, while at the same time an International student would pay more than triple. The average foreign student tuition for one year is $19,514.

Increased Number of International Students in Vancouver, Canada

While studying in Vancouver, BC is attractive to students. There are also other countries around the world competing for the attention of foreign students. Australia, New Zealand, the US and the UK are actively seeking students from around the globe to sit in their classrooms.

Asian students

Many of Vancouver’s universities and colleges – including Langara, Kwantlen Polytechnic University and Simon Fraser University – bring most of their international students from Asia, frequently China, and other areas like Korea, Japan and Hong Kong.

University of British Columbia has 9,000 international students in Vancouver and is active in approximately 60 countries, including Saudi Arabia, Brazil and the United Arab Emirates.

ESL student pathways to university in Vancouver, are a great opportunity. People studying English as a Second Language in Vancouver, can eventually make their way to studying at a university and then working in Canada.

After completing their studies, the Canadian government is hoping in the future that international students will fill 86,500 jobs. This number is twice the number of jobs currently filled by foreign students. Currently, Canada is experiencing a gap in the labour market and the government is hoping that international students can be one solution to add much needed workers to the job market.

Asian Business workers

Another reason that Canada is welcoming international students to the second biggest country in the world, is to boost Canada’s economy. Foreign students spend their finances on tuition, accommodation, entertainment and other expenses. This all adds up to a big economic gain for local communities.

The B.C. Council for International Education  has stated that there were more than 100,000 international students in B.C. in 2011-12. The Canadian government is aiming to increase these numbers over the next few years. Studying in Canada is a unique opportunity to expand a person’s education, be on the path to employment, one day possibly immigrate to Vancouver and live in Canada permanently.

If you would like to study in Vancouver, BC and speak with a qualified immigration consultant please contact us


Written by Sacha DeVoretz, blog contributor to Bell Alliance Global Immigration Services Inc.

Share Button

Schools in Canada are helping international students feel more at home

Posted on

Thousands of international students arrive to Canada each year with hopes of broadening their education and also making new local friends. International students may have a thriving education but making new Canadian friends can be a bit of a challenge.

According to a report by the Canadian Bureau for International Education the majority of foreign students say they have very few or no Canadian friends. The students want to learn more about Canadian culture and the local way of life but it may be easier to turn to school friends who speak the same language and or are international students too.

Many international students say that making local friends helps them succeed while they are studying. The University of British Columbia assists international students by providing them with a program which makes it easier for the students to make local friends and helps ease the students into their new academic life.

The University of British Columbia (UBC) provides a “Community Program”. This program is designed to help international students to become a part of the local student community. UBC provides the following tips for international students wanting to be a part of the local student scene here in Vancouver:

  •  Join a student club or peer program
  • Sign up for an intramural sports team
  • Become a volunteer
  • Join a community group

Vancouver is a diverse city with people arriving to British Columbia from around the world. International students enjoy making friends with people from their home country through local cultural groups and organizations in the city. Many of the bigger cultural groups and communities have their own cultural or faith centres. These centres are the perfect place to make new friends.

Canadian students are friendly and like to make new friends. Most local students are eager to learn about other cultures and countries. But it takes two people to be friends, international students are encouraged to reach out to Canadian students and start a conversation.

If you are an international student and thinking about working in Canada, these skills will also help you feel better and happier in the workplace too. Below are five tips for international students to build a circle of local friends and have a full social life.

  • Make friends with a wide variety of people. Try speaking with classmates in different courses. Venture off campus and attend events that interest you.
  • Don’t be embarrassed about being different. Canada is a country made of people from around the world, chances are your new local friend may have another friend from the same country.
  • Speak slowly, and ask people to repeat. Make eye contact and laugh out loud, being friendly and outgoing will make it easier for people to talk to you. Be yourself and share your interests and likes with your new Canadian friends.
  • Don’t stay in too close contact with home. It actually helps to venture out a bit on your own, spend more time making local friends than you do speaking with people back home. This will help you learn more about the local culture and enjoy your time in Vancouver.
  • Pursue your interests. If you like a certain sport or hobby, try to find groups that share the same interests, this is a great way to make local friends. Be the first person to say hello in the group.

If you are an international student try not to spend too much time with people who speak the same language. Break from the group and start a conversation with a student who sits next to you in class.

There are so many opportunities in Canada and if you are living on campus or plan to work in British Columbia all of these tips will help you start your new life and enjoy your social time that much more!


Written by Sacha DeVoretz, blog contributor to Bell Alliance Global Immigration Services Inc.

Visit our Study Page for more information about how to become a international student in Canada.

Share Button

Work while you study in Canada

Posted on

Did you know that while you study you may be eligible to a work permit? Yes, you can work while you study in Canada in certain programs.

Did you know that your possibilities to immigrate to Canada increase at the end of your studies? Yes, they definitely increase!!!

Contact us!!!

Share Button

Connecting International Students to Quality Education in Beautiful British Columbia

Posted on


Bell Alliance Global Immigration Services Inc. (Bell Alliance Global) partners with Vancouver
Community College to support the school’s growing international student population

Bell Alliance Global is now part of Vancouver Community College’s reputable list of partners around the world that promote Vancouver Community College to international students looking to further their education at a high ranking post-secondary institute in Canada. Bell Alliance Global will inform clients interested in studying about the various programs offered by Vancouver Community College and help them submit a successful application to study at the college.

Given that Bell Alliance Global headquarters is located in Vancouver, the Bell Alliance Global team is very familiar with Vancouver Community College and its excellent reputation compared to other colleges in the region. With over 100 programs to choose from and two campuses located in the city, students have the opportunity to live and learn in one of the most beautiful and vibrant places in the world. Programs range from global business management, hospitality management, trades and the culinary arts. Another great advantage is that Vancouver Community College is a public school with a large domestic student population, and therefore international students experience a true immersion in the English language and Canadian culture.

For many internationals wanting to live and work in Canada, studying here is a great start. Students gain relevant skills and education for the Canadian work place, and in particular, build the critical connections to the job market through internships, academic counseling and career services.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has immigration programs in place to help students obtain work experience and apply for permanent residency after graduation. Programs include Off-Campus Work Permit; Post-Graduate Work Permit; Canadian Experience Class; and British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program.

Bell Alliance Global can help internationals plan for their future in Canada by finding them a program at Vancouver Community College and assisting them in obtaining their study permit, temporary resident visa and student work permit. We make sure to always recommend a path that will look at an individual’s long-term goals and create opportunities to live and work in Canada.

Please contact us for more information. If you would like to contact Vancouver Community College directly, please visit www.vcc.ca/international or call 604.443.8600.


Share Button